Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2023 02:46:35 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: aarch64 and armv6 vs. armv7 support: armv6 is not supported, despite what "man arch" reports

On Dec 7, 2023, at 01:19, Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 7 Dec 2023, at 05:31, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>=20
>> man arch reports:
>>=20
>> QUOTE
>>    Some machines support more than one FreeBSD ABI.  Typically these =
are
>>    64-bit machines, where the =E2=80=9Cnative=E2=80=9D LP64 execution =
environment is
>>    accompanied by the =E2=80=9Clegacy=E2=80=9D ILP32 environment, =
which was the historical
>>    32-bit predecessor for 64-bit evolution.  Examples are:
>>=20
>>          LP64         ILP32 counterpart
>>          amd64        i386
>>          powerpc64    powerpc
>>          aarch64      armv6/armv7
>=20
> So, this might be replaced with "armv6^armv7" or "armv6 xor armv7", =
then?

Only for folks that build from source. For those folks, a footnote
about updating MACHINE_ARCH32 in sys/arm64/include/param.h would be
appropriate. It is not exactly obvious or commonly known.

Hmm, thinking more about the old bugzilla information . . .

I'll also note that my information predated lib32 on aarch64: just
chroot/jail sorts of use back then, and I just tested chroot back
then. I've never tested a lib32 context for armv6 on aarch64 for
an adjusted MACHINE_ARCH32.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com