Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 1996 15:11:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Patrick G. LeBlanc" <leblancp@cuug.ab.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installing with CR-563 Pan. on Sb16 interface

On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Patrick G. LeBlanc wrote:

>   Thanks for the advise!  But I'm a complete newbie to FreeBSD.  I am
> trying to set it up as my main development computer, rather than the
> option of a win95 system.

I like the FreeBSD option MUCH better :-)  I've been doing the same, but
I have a OS/2 system I can backend off of.

I think FreeBSD is a FAR superior development
> environment.  I also just want to learn about the nuts and bolts of Unix
> from a sys admin perspective.  I'm not a heavy duty programmer, just a
> dabbler really.

FreeBSD isn't too bad a way to get into sysadmining, there is a good
support net (you're on it in questions) plus a lot of the configuration
is either classical Unix or is pretty common-sense.

>   I'de really like to get the cdrom up and running so I can start using
> the system properly.

Unfortunately I don't know much about cd-rom support under fbsd.  I have
a teac 4x that isn't supported so I haven't played with it much.  After I
get some more cash I'm going to upgrade it to SCSI and do it the way I
should have when I bought the machine 6 months ago.

> Thanks for your help, I hope I haven't stumped you.

No, it's been a pleasure.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant