Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2012 08:16:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File system issue [was Re: jails]

> I am having an issue with one of my jailed systems. It has run out of
> space. I have identified many files to delete but I can  not
> Delete the files as the system comes back with "No Space available".  I
> tried to delete them from the host system as well but I get
> The same system issue. How does one delete files or free up space?

Are you using FreeBSD's default partitioning, with inter-disk partitions
for /usr, /var, ...?  If so you should reinstall and _don't_ create
partitions within a disk without a specific requirement that precludes
use of another disk.

The fact that FreeBSD installs still recommend legacy partitioning is one
of the reasons so many sites have switched to Linux.  It's not that the
server designers know better than to avoid unnecessary partitions but
that Linux's single partition defaults (other than swap) are so much more
robust.  As a result problems with partitioning are chalked-up to
FreeBSD, and rightly so, by Linux advocates.  Next time an OS choice has
to be made ops and other managers will remember all the diskfull outages
and symlink hacks and choose Linux over FreeBSD.

Is there any Unix or Linux distribution other than FreeBSD which still
defaults to partitions for /usr et al?

IME,
Roger Marquis