Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2014 11:21:42 +0100
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@vfemail.net>
To:        Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh@kathe.in>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: any non-x11 'gui' systems like qt/embedded?

Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh@kathe.in> writes:

> are there any non-x11 depending 'gui' systems available
> for freebsd? something like qt/embedded which works off
> the linux graphics framebuffer?

svgalib, vgl(3) or use framebuffer on /dev/ttyv0 directly. Only svgalib
supports both syscons(4) and vt(4). For high-level stuff try libggi or
directfb (via sdl12+vgl).

Wayland is probably "the" future for non-X11 embedded GUI. gtk3 and qt5
already support it. Porting status: https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics

> if not, is there any specific documentation available
> for using the graphics framebuffer used for showing the
> boot splash screens?

<sys/fbio.h> has no docs but a few examples:

in ports:
  sysutils/jfbterm
  www/w3m
  x11/mlterm (--with-gui=fb not exposed)

not in ports:
  ucimf
  fbshot, fbterm, vlc ported by Yusuke Baba

> also, may i know what that graphics framebuffer is
> called in the freebsd world?
>
> thanks,
>
> ~mayuresh

VFEmail.net - http://www.vfemail.net
ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!