Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:58:36 -0600
From:      "Steven N. Fettig" <freebsd@stevenfettig.com>
To:        Stephen Liu <satimis@icare.com.hk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebooting problem

Stephen Liu wrote:

>  **
>
> Hi all folks,
>
> Version 5.2
> new installation
>
> On rebooting it hangs on
> syncing disks, buffers remaining ... 5 5
>
> done
> Uptime: 45m45s
> Shutting down ACPI
> Rebooting...
> Keyboard reset did not work, attempting CPU shutdown.
>
> It hanged here and I have to make a 'hard reboot' by pressing 'reset' key
>
> Kindly advise is it the size of SWAP insufficient?   If 'YES', kindly
> advise how to check it and increase its size.
>
> TIA
>
> B.R.
> Stephen Liu

I had this problem some time back with 5.0 on an older system of mine.
I was never able to resolve the problem, as it seemed to be a EIDE
controller related problem.  I downgraded (to then) 4.7 and never had
any problems after that.  Just today, however, as I was working on
upgrading to 5.2 on the same system, the hard drive and the controller
that had been problematic back then, failed.  I just put in a new hard
drive and the system works fine (with a new install), so I am assuming
it may have been an issue with both controller and disk.  I remember at
the time there was information on the mailing list about their being
problems with the EIDE controller I was using.  You might want to start
by making sure that your controller hasn't caused anyone else problems
(via checking the mailing list archives).  It might also be that your
hard drive is slowly failing.  If it is a newer drive, I would imagine
that less likely, though.  Someone else, here may have better advice,
however, as I don't know too much about the drivers built in to the
kernel for controllers.  As I said, my short-term solution was going
back to a more stable version of FreeBSD...

Steve Fettig