Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:01:58 -0700
From:      "Dave Walton" <walton@nordicdms.com>
To:        David Chamberlain <david.chamberlain@ibm.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Apache/PHP3 and databases

On 14 Sep 98, at 9:43, David Chamberlain wrote:

> Somebody please, please help me with this if possible.  I don't want to have
> to deal with Linux.

I really wish I had a good answer for you, so I could use it myself.

> I have different types of data in Progress, Informix and Microsoft SQL.

I believe PHP has support for Progess and Informix, though I've
never looked closely.  MS-SQL is the tricky one.  Currently, the
only non-ODBC way to talk to MS-SQL is with Sybase ct-lib
drivers.  (Search for FreeTDS for an upcoming alternative.)
Problem is, ct-lib isn't available for FreeBSD.  Sybase did release a
Linux ct-lib some years ago, but it's old enough that it doesn't work
right on some versions of Linux anymore.  In theory, you could
compile a Linux binary of PHP and link it with that library, but I
haven't tried.

> Is there a way to
> convert Linux object libraries to link into FreeBSD programs?

I'm told that it's possible to set up FreeBSD as a Linux
development environment, and directly compile Linux binaries
(which can be linked with Linux libraries).  However, I haven't a clue
how to do this.

Good luck!

Dave