Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:10:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Vladimir Ivanov <wawa@yandex-team.ru>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/34639: IPFW skipto works too slow

The following reply was made to PR kern/34639; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Vladimir Ivanov <wawa@yandex-team.ru>
To: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 20:03:17 +0300

 Peter Pentchev wrote:

 > On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 05:53:19PM +0300, wawa@yandex-team.ru wrote:
 >
 >>>Number:         34639
 >>>Category:       kern
 >>>Synopsis:       IPFW skipto works too slow
 >>>
 >>The original implementation of skipto rule use brute-force to find the appropriate rule.
 >>The suggested implementation use indexed access.
 >>

 > Your suggested implementation has just one drawback: it assumes that
 > the rule exists.  AFAIR, the current skipto implementation will skip
 > to the lowest-numbered rule no lower than the specified one, so you
 > can safely delete the rule with that specific number and still rest
 > assured that the following rules will be honored.

 Yes you're right. But my idea was to make it more intuitive. The
 domcumented behaviour can be achived by a couple lines of code which
 can be placed in the ad_ and del_ procedure but not in chk_ . We can
 just fill the index with duplicated values. Doesn't it ? It's important
 because it saves running time significantly still.

 > G'luck,
 > Peter

 Truly,

 --