Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:27:04 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        christoph.sold@server.i-clue.de
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Thorbj=F6rn?= Axelsson <smurf@salmiak.hemmet.chalmers.se>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't reset keyboard?

In message <3A539914.48E34811@i-clue.de>, Christoph Sold writes:
> =

> Thorbj=F6rn Axelsson schrieb:
> > =

> > I updatede my box from 4.2R to 4.2S yesterday and it won't reboot pro=
perly
> > now (I use the 'reboot' command).
> > =

> > It shutdowns real nice without any problem but just when it's suppose=
d to
> > reboot it says something like "Can't reset keyboard, trying to reset =
CPU"
> > and it just hangs so I have to press the reset button manually. This =
might
> > not sound to complicated but the fact is that it's a remote server an=
> > it's a pain in the ass running over there (unlocking a bunch of doors=
 on
> > the way) just to press the reset button.
> > =

> > At first I thought that it was something with my stripped down custom=
ized
> > kernel but I compiled GENERIC earlier today and it seems to have the =
same
> > problem.
> > =

> > The computer is an old p100 and no keyboard is generally used with it=

> > (only plugged in when emergencies) but it seems to have the problem w=
hen
> > it's plugged in too.
> > =

> > Otherwise the box seems to function just great.
> =

> Just speculating: PC hardware uses the keyboard controller to generate
> the reset pulse. On some older hardware, this fails. The CPU is not
> powerful enough to generate a clean reset pulse, too. You may either
> remove boards (thus reducing the load of the reset line), or replace th=
> board.
> =

> To put it short: It is a hardware problem I have seen in older PCs now
> and then.

I had a similar problem in a 486 a few years ago.  Replacing the M =

level keyboard BIOS (keyboard controller) with a F (newer) keyboard =

BIOS fixed the problem.  Newer operating systems will not work with the =

older M keyboard controller.

-- =

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA