Date:      Fri, 06 Jan 95 08:26:47 -0500
From:      knight@zko.dec.com
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        knight@zko.dec.com

I've been experimenting with ntpdate from FreeBSD 2.0R for the last few
days. My results have been a bit surprising (to me at least) at best;
I thought you might be interested in the results, though.

#1:

  Doing the following sample command:

	ntpdate -b -d xxx.yyy.com

  has interesting results:

	if xxx.yyy.com is a FreeBSD 2.0R system, it works.
	if xxx.yyy.com is an OSF/1 2.0 or 3.0, or ULTRIX or BSDi system,
	    it fails, specifically, the messages are not responded to by
	    the remote system.

  If, instead, I do:

	ntpdate -o2 -b -d xxx.yyy.com

  then everything works for the previously non-working systems. So it looks
  like the version 3 protocol is not quite right on the FreeBSD side.

#2:

  If I run the ntpdate command from a FreeBSD system that has
  /etc/wall_cmos_clock enabled, ntpdate reports an offset of 17981.***
  which, just happens to be the 5 hour offset to UTC from local time.
  Fwiw, xntpd, when used, also shows the same offset.

  Would it be desirable for the wall_cmos_clock to be taken into consideration
  when this calculation is made? Or is this too much of a hack/problem?

  Or, better yet, have I got something wrong in my kernel configuration?

Thanks.

------
Dave Knight				knight@zko.dec.com (work)
					knight@ka1dt.mv.com (home)