Date:      Wed, 03 Oct 2012 06:26:52 +0200
From:      Andreas Tobler <andreast-list@fgznet.ch>
To:        Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>, Matthew Rezny <mrezny@hexaneinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD9 running CPUs slow on PowerMac7,2

On 03.10.12 04:41, Justin Hibbits wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 01:17:08 +0200
> Matthew Rezny <mrezny@hexaneinc.com> wrote:
>
>> Tue Oct 2 22:49:53 UTC 2012 Jason bacon wrote:
>>> Did you try enabling powerd?  ( powerd_enable="YES" in rc.conf,
>>> "man powerd" )
>>>
>>> I had this issue with an iBook some time ago, and Nathan W. pointed
>>> out that Macs boot at the lower CPU freq, so you have to change it
>>> manually with sysctl or run powerd to control it automatically.
>>
>> I do have that in rc.conf, but powerd has no way to control the
>> clockrate without cpufreq available.
>>
>> # powerd
>> powerd: lookup freq: No such file or directory

> Andreas Tobler posted something related to this a while back on the
> list.  His suggestion at the time was to autoboot to FreeBSD, and not
> boot via the Open Firmware prompt.  If you're already doing that, I'm
> clueless.
>
> The relevant link I found is
> http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/Fan-Power-controls-td4170991.html

Justin is right here. The only option you have is autoboot to get the
full CPU frequency.
These machines have a complicated way to setup the full CPU frequency
and I do not know if it is worth hacking here when one can get the value
with autobooting.

Here in the last section 'Booting into FreeBSD' you find how to do this.

http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/ppcinstall.txt

Hope this helps.
Andreas