Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 15:00:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Optimization changed from TIME to SPACE

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Duke Normandin wrote:

> From: Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
> To: Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
> Cc: freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Date: Sunday, December 19, 1999 11:05 AM
> Subject: Re: Optimization changed from TIME to SPACE
>

> |You DID just install the system sources, right?  (i.e, /usr/src/sys?)
>

> No... I installed the whole ball of wax. Is there any pitfalls in simply
> deleting everything other than /usr/src/sys? Thanks!
>
> later...duke

NOT THAT I KNOW OF... However, I have never tried to install all the
sources, and then start deleting stuff and still expect compiles to work.
:-)

There's at least one reference to ../../../include/ in my .depend file, so
you would be well off keeping /usr/src/include, as it's only 616K on my
Dec 18 3.4-STABLE system.  Keeping lib/ as well, would probably be a good
idea, although you'll likely be able to get along without it.

Basically, Duke, what you might want to do, in the name of experimental
science, is try to delete all the directories under /usr/src/ BUT sys/,
include/ and lib/, and see if you can successfully make a kernel.  If not,
rm -rf /usr/src and start installing distributions again :-)

According to the defaults in sysinstall, the "kern-developer" option just
installs the sys source option... No includes or lib... But I've never
installed a system with partial sources, so I can't say for sure where
dependencies lie.  I'm not as familiar with the source tree as many of the
people here, though.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  50% Owner, Technical and Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2