Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 1995 02:01:37 +0800 (WST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@jhome.DIALix.COM>
To:        DGY@hillae.com (Yankura David)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More info on install problem

> I've been making some more attempts to install FreeBSD v2.1 on
> my AMD 486/DX4 100MHz system and have come across something
> which might be part or all of the problem.
ok what type of adapter do you have?

> I tried a <<custom>> installation instead of the <<novice>> one
> and followed this path:
>
> boot from floppy
use -c and -v
-c to get the right ports etc, and -v to see what the BIOS thinks is
the geometry of the drives..

> select custom installation
probably better to select novice or express

> select allocate disk space from menu
>
> select sd1(no existing partitions) for use by FreeBSD(Seagate
> st3283N 237MB drive w/1691 cyl, 5 hds, and 57 sectors/track
> avg).

is this a 2.0.5 or a 2.1 CD?

> select option "A" - use entire disk for FreeBSD(leaving a true
> partition)
>
> This process creates a freebsd partition @ offset 57, size
> 485298, named sd1s1 w/flag "C"
ah here could be one problem.. offset 57?
unlikely to be the right number..
you should find what the BIOS geometry is, and  use teh 'G'
geometry option to set the same geometry as teh BIOS
probably 64 heads x 32 sectors.

> I then execute option "W" to save these changes.
no you shouldn't do this yet.. it get's done later
this is for when you need to write if you're 'fiddling' things..
you aren't.. don't do the 'W' yet.. it shouldn't be there..

> I select installation of the booteasy boot mgr.
>
> get msg that fdisk partition info written successfully.
>
> select label allocated disk partitions from menu
>
> select option "A" - Auto defaults for all:
>
> this creates partitions:
>
> sd1s1a	/	32MB	UFS	Y
>
> sd1s1b	<none>	27MB	SWAP
>
> sd1s1e	/var	30MB	UFS	Y
>
> sd1s1f	/usr	147MB	UFS	Y
>

> select option "W" to save these changes - are you sure - YES
NO don't do this.. you'll get an oportunity later to 'commit' the changes..
THIS 'W' might have a bug.

> get the following msg:
>
> "WARNING! unable to swap to /dev/sd1s1b: device not configured"
>
> "this may cause the installation to fail at some point"
>
> "if you don't have a lot of memory."
>

> I then get another msg:
>
> "Unable to make new root filesystem on /dev/rsd1a!"
At This point all is failed...
no point in continuing..

julian