Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 07:42:46 +1030 (CST)
From:      Jarrod Sayers <Jarrod.Sayers@unisa.edu.au>
To:        Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: root is now 0

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Tim Kellers wrote:

> Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 15:49:19 -0500 (EST)
> From: Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
> To: freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: root is now 0
>

> After hacking around with NIS on one of our (thank god) development
> servers, I've managed to somehow expunge root's name from something
> important.  When I, su'd to root, create a file, it now has the ownership
> of 0 and group wheel.  I've looked in /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd
> and the entries look fine, and I've tuned NIS back off, rebooted and taken
> all of the alterations I made to the passwd and group files back out, but
> I still have a root with an "name" of 0.

You may need to rebuild the /etc/pwd.db and /etc/spwd.db files which are
actually used for username lookups.

cd /etc && pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd

Make sure that the entry for root is in your /etc/master.password file
before running it, and then it should come back.

Hope it helps.

Jarrod Sayers
Client Services
Information Technology Services Unit
University of South Australia, Magill Campus.
Phone: +61 8 8302 4809