Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 10:49:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "User Rdkeys Robert D. Keys" <rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu (User RDKEYS Robert D. Keys)
Subject:   Old Sony CDROM compatibility with FreeBSD?????

I picked up an older Sony cdrom drive that I would like to try to adapt
to one of my FreeBSD boxes.  It is a ancient thing that uses a caddy:

Board:  Sony CDB-904 8 bit card with three switch blocks of jumpers.
        The date on the board is 1989.

CDROM drive:  Sony CDU-510-12 drive using disk caddies.  I suspect it is
        an older single-speed drive.

1.  Is this ancient drive compatible with FreeBSD?  Reading all the hardware
    txt files back to 2.0.5 just indicates ``sony cdrom'' of all types.

2.  Does anyone know of the proper switch jumper settings to bring it up
    correctly for FreeBSD?  There are three switch blocks, as follows:

   ADDRESS:         2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9
                on
                off

   IRQ             2  3  4  5  x  x          I/O CH RDY xx
                on
                off

   DRQ 1/2/3        1  2  3  1  2  3         DACK 1/2/3
                on
                off

The address needs to be set to 230H, but which swiches to set?

The IRQ I have open is 5, but which one is best?

I have no idea what the DRQ/DACK lines set, but what should they be?

Yeah, I know, I need a ``modern'' cdrom, but this is what I have to work
with right now, and it was a freebie.....(:+{{.....

Any pointers/suggestions/comments/horror-stories/etc., appreciated.

Thanks

Bob Keys
rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu