Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:15:31 +0100
From:      "Tom" <FreeBSD@virgin.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Network Connection Slowing Down

Morning all,

Heres the situation:

I'm using FreeBSD 4.3 installed on a 486 dx with 12MB of RAM as a
firewall/router for my home network.
The machine has 2 NICs, one connected to the cable modem, and one
connected to a hub, which has another 2 PCs (one W2K, one Linux) on it
as well.
I'm using ipfw with natd to switch traffic between the two nics.
For a couple of months after I set it up, I was using a completly open
firewall - basically the only rules in rc.firewall were (I paraphrase):
1 flush rules
2 divert everything to natd
3 pass everything

and it worked fine - the 486 was up for at least a month without any
problems at all.
Last weekend I finally got round to fixing the ipfw ruleset, which is
now based on the simple firewall set in the default rc.firewall and
which works fine. I can use the machines within the network without any
problems, and my redirections from outside to my servers work fine as
well.
The only thing is that since I added the full ruleset (about 40 rules)
the connection will start to slow down after the machine has been up for
a while - somewhere between 24- 48 hours it seems. This only applies to
network connections, but it affects both the internal and external
interfaces - web browsing, ftp, everything becomes seriously slow, and
even ssh-ing into the 486 from the local network becomes dog slow.
However, the machine itself is running fine - memory useage is typically
high, with only 340k or so free, but thats normal on this box (it only
has 12MB remember), but swap use is minimal, and top shows cpu useage as
minimal, with natd usually logging as 0% - which makes me think the
problem is happening with ipfw.
Rebooting the box will solve the problem instantly, and all will be well
for 24 hours or so.
I'm guessing the problem is basically a lack of resources on the box,
but can anyone suggest a way to clear the problem without rebooting -
ideally I'd like something I could script to happen once a day that
frees whatever resources ipfw seems to be maxing out on.
Any suggestions?

Tom