Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 15:10:33 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, FreeBSD-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Are we a Political Action Committee ?

On Wed, May 13, 1998 at 07:55:52PM -0700, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> In fairness , we are attempting to define ourselves so mistakes will
> be made along the way and I hope that we can correct them.

If mistakes can be corrected then they are worth making. The worst thing
anyone can do is to do nothing.

I recently deleted a week's worth of -advocacy and -chat unread because I
couldn't cope with the duplicates. I don't seem to have missed anything,
and I wonder if there's much more to be said.

Let's see more of what people are actually doing, warts and all.
I'm acting locally.

If there's anyone in Sydney who could talk simply and coherently about
FreeBSD to 200-300 microsoft users for half an hour later this year and
would like to do so, please contact me privately. A couple of prominent
members may be about to switch to Linux in the absence of good info about
FreeBSD, and when they do others will follow their example.

I'd also like to contact uni students in Sydney and nearby to find out
whether FreeBSD or Linux is being used or mentioned or is available where
you study. Maybe together we can work out ways to make FreeBSD more
visible there, and then run our ideas past this mob in case they're
silly.

I only know of one place in Sydney where FreeBSD books and/or CDs can be
purchased, and that's an efficient mail/courier service from Leonard Chan
(http://www.cetustech.com.au) who can often be found with his order book
at Linux user group meetings (we have no FreeBSD user group). He has
resonably priced software, books, and computer hardware. Has anyone seen
FreeBSD available anywhere else in Sydney? If so, we should know about it
and support their businesses.

The rest of you, what are you doing in your town?
Have you made any mistakes we can learn from?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-