Date:      Mon, 07 Oct 2002 09:17:50 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
Cc:        Chip Norkus <wd@arpa.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM 600E installation with FreeBSD 3.5

> Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 22:57:56 -0400 (EDT)
> From: John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Chip Norkus wrote:
>
> > Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 18:51:20 -0500
> > From: Chip Norkus <wd@arpa.com>
> > To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> > Subject: Re: IBM 600E installation  with FreeBSD 3.5
> >
> > On Sat Oct 05, 2002; 12:39PM -0400 ram.gopal@nokia.com propagated the following:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I tried to install FreeBSD 3.5 on IBM 600E Laptop ,  the following error message pops up but 4.4 is working properly on the same type of machine.
> >
> > Hi.  I've got a 600E.  Make sure you've got the absolute latest BIOS
> > updates from IBM.  Also, you probably won't have any luck getting the sound
> > working. :/  Good luck!
> >

> That does sound like an aged BIOS. How old is the 600e? Also, I was able
> to get sound working only with the onboard modem disabled (ps2.exe or
> win32 thinkpad utility).

The 600E is a system where almost everything works in FreeBSD, but 3.5
is just too old. Among the problems:

1. Can't install from CD. (You can boot from floppy and use the CD as
the install device, though.  This is NOT a BIOS problem. The boot code
was fixed for this at about 4.4 or 4.5. (This is what you are hitting.)

2. Sound does not work after a suspend. Requires a minor system mod to
work at all. I can provide the patch and kernel config options on
request.

3. Modem will not work for releases before 4.1. Requires the
comms/mwavem port of the IBM driver.

4. You MUST use the ps2 utility to adjust BIOS. E.g. enable the COM1 port.
It is on the Windows distributed with the 600e, but a bootable,
stand-alone floppy image may be downloaded from the IBM web site.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)