Date:      Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:04:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   threads/158815: pthread_set_name_np is no longer just a debugging interface

>Number:         158815
>Category:       threads
>Synopsis:       pthread_set_name_np is no longer just a debugging interface
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD khavrinen.csail.mit.edu 8.2-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p1 #9 r221316: Tue May 3 17:32:39 EDT 2011 wollman@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KHAVRINEN amd64

The manual page for pthread_set_name_np(3) says:

     This is a debugging interface and using it on a day-by-day basis makes no
     sense.

It is no more a debugging interface than setproctitle(3), and has not
been since the name started getting stuffed into the kernel.  This
statement may have made sense when the name was only visible in thread
state dumps and the debugger.

(I'll note in passing that some implementations provide a
corresponding accessor function.  There are also some implementations
that spell it pthread_setname_np instead.)

>How-To-Repeat:

man pthread_set_name_np

>Fix:

Delete lines 47-49 from the documentation.