Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 15:03:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      shalunov@lynxhub.lz.att.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/10377: `make' in ports does not honor {f,ht}tp_proxy settings

>Number:         10377
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       `make' in ports does not honor {f,ht}tp_proxy settings
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

	This is stock 3.1-RELEASE, just installed.  I installed everything.
	No major customizations yet.  This machine is behind a twisted
	organizational firewall with `cute' DNS organization and restricted
	connectivity.

	I have set ftp_proxy and http_proxy in the environment (using
	IP numbers).  If I manually fetch some URL, such as
	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles/lynx2.8.1rel.1.tar.gz,
	everything works fine, file gets fetched and all.  However, if
	I try to run `make' in /usr/ports/www/lynx without the distfile
	in /usr/ports/distfiles, I get output similar to this (using
	a different port, because Lynx is now building):

	>> communicator-v408-export.x86-unknown-linux1.2.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
	>> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/4.08/english/unix/supported/linux12/base_install/.
	fetch: ftp.netscape.com: Unknown host
	>> Attempting to fetch from ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/Mirrors/ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/4.08/english/unix/supported/linux12/base_install/.
	fetch: sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk: No address associated with name
	>> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles//.
	fetch: ftp.freebsd.org: No address associated with name
	>> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
	>> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/ and try again.
	*** Error code 1

	Stop.
	[More five `Stops.']

>How-To-Repeat:

	Attempt to build any port without local distfile and without
	proper Internet connectivity (but with proxies set up).

>Fix:

	What was the reason to use `fetch' rather than `ftp' as
	FETCH_CMD in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk?  Surely I can set
	FETCH_CMD to ftp in the environment or simply change that
	file, but how many users do you expect to be able to figure
	it out?  Or, at least don't set FETCH_CMD to `fetch' if
	ftp_proxy or http_proxy is defined in the environment!
	(The solution that should make everyone happy.)