Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2017 08:34:56 -0400
From:      Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Source of QEMU woes: CPUTYPE

--9i7th3aWbum4cTA5Pj6liSncgkta9kE3B
From: Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To: "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>

--n3e7TdFMkt97h5qmBNVxNSwLE9h2RKmnV

A while ago I posted on here about some problems I'd had with testing
boot loader modifications on QEMU, and which also showed up on an
unmodified HEAD.

I ultimately tracked down the source of the problem: I had
CPUTYPE?=3Dnative set in my /etc/make.conf.  As my CPU is relatively
recent, this caused some instructions that QEMU doesn't support to be
generated in various places (most notoriously, in strlen), which would
trigger illegal instruction exceptions.  Removing the CPUTYPE?=3Dnative
line restores things to working order.

I'm posting this here, as it's somewhat non-obvious, and probably ought
to be documented somewhere.