Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 09:04:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Craig Spannring <cts@internetcds.com>
To:        Chris Foote <chris@senet.com.au>
Cc:        Pecsenyanszky Istvan <pecseny@inf.bme.hu>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file system full

Chris Foote writes:
 > On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Pecsenyanszky Istvan wrote:
 > > Could anybody enlighten me, why can't use the system the rest 700MB?
 >
 > Some space is reserved for root that normal users are unable to use.
 > Using 'tunefs' with the -m option, you should be able to reduce the
 > space reserved for root on an existing parition.

Having a large (10%) free space threshold allows the file system to
use faster allocation techniques.  From the tunefs(8) man page-

     This value can be set to zero, however up to a factor of three
     in throughput will be lost over the performance obtained at a
     10% threshold. Settings of 5% and less force space optimization
     to always be used which will greatly increase the overhead for
     file writes.