Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 1999 10:08:11 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Cc:        brian@freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: misc/14150: /usr/binlast does not accept input from stdin nor does it process .gz files

> On Wed, 6 Oct 1999 brian@freebsd.org wrote:
> > Synopsis: /usr/binlast does not accept input from stdin nor does it process .gz files
> >
> > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> > State-Changed-By: brian
> > State-Changed-When: Wed Oct 6 02:44:36 PDT 1999
> > State-Changed-Why:
> > Adding gzip capabilities to last would be considered extraneous to most.
> > I'd suggest the originator removes the Z from the wtmp line in newsyslog.conf
>
> Adding gzip capabilities was just one of the suggestions, allowing for
>   zcat some.file.gz | last
> was the second one.
>
> Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua> kindly provided me some details why
> this would require quite some rewrite of /usr/bin/last, but I don't
> really see why this is sufficient to simply close the GNATS report.
>
> Perhaps anyone might work on that in the future?

I don't think so.  It's inappropriate for last(1) to write an
uncompressed temporary file the same size as the original wtmp - wtmp
can be enormous on some systems.  Going to the end of the file and
seeking backwards is in my opinion the only correct way to do the job
and precludes the ability to stream things.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>