Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:20:02 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, Matt Olander <matt@ixsystems.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upcoming release schedule - 8.4 ?

On Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:30:19 am Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 13 June 2012 21:26, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 08:50:24AM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> >> The only way that this would really work is if there were dedicated
> >> sustaining engineers working on actively backporting code, testing it,
> >> committing it, etc.
> >
> > I'm going to agree with Garrett here.  IMHO we've reached (or surpassed)
> > the limit of what is reasonable to ask volunteers to commit their spare
> > time to.  This is doubly true when we have more than one "stable" branch.
>
> I totally concur.

This is why I think we need fewer branches so that there is less merging to
do.  Even in the bad old 4.x days developers would merge things (especially
driver updates) from HEAD back to 4.x.  If we move X.0 releases farther
apart then developers will still MFC things, the issue is that they don't
want to MFC to 2 stable branches.

--
John Baldwin