Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 23:44:14 +0200
From:      Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is the CD driver supposed to attach() now regardless of media?

Hi,

 ... sorry, ... I really should have noted this in my earlier
 message on this topic.

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 09:30:02PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> My experience is that as long as the CD is in the drive before you boot
> the floppy sysinstall is happy. Put the CD in later and all bets are off.
> This has been the case as long as I remember.
... we tried all combinations ( 2940AU, Yamaha CRW4416 ) :
        - floppy boot, with medium in the the cd
        - floppy boot, without medium in the cd
        - cd-boot
        - cd-boot and taking out the cd direct after boot
          and back in later
        - waiting a few minutes before selecting the
          installation media in sysinstall

The 3.1-release installation kernel wasn't able to attach
the yamaha drive to cd0.

-andreas

--
: TSE TeleService GmbH  :  Gsf: Arne Reuter        :                 :
: Hovestrasse 14        :       Andreas Braukmann  : We do it with   :