Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:21:53 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Moving Things [was Re: List of things to move from main tree]

Guys guys guys,

This whole thread (especially as pertaining to MTAs) comes up
periodically and it always goes the same way.  To use a rather western
analogy, a bunch of torch-waving reformers ride into town calling for
the death of a particularly useless and/or controversial utility and
those townspeople who don't agree with this point of view start
shooting at them from the second story windows.  The reformers
eventually get pissed-off at being shot at by the ungrateful people
they're supposedly trying to save from their own folly and they ride
out again in disgust.

It always goes this way largely due to the fact that all sides are
basically "right."  A lot of folks want various interesting types of
functionality in their OS which they also don't want to have to play
hide-and-seek for as part of some grueling initiation rite - an OS
should do what they want it to do.  A lot of other folks want a more
basic OS core which is easier to understand, easier to maintain and
much easier to use in situations which require a fairly small OS
footprint.  Even more folks have Very Strong Opinions about what the
right balance to strike between functionality and simplicity for
FreeBSD in general is, even though few of them actually agree on the
scale settings.

The needs of all these various interest groups are not mutually
exclusive.  The problem is and always has been that instead of
starting new jihads concerning specific components, nobody really sits
down and says "Hmm, /usr/src as updated by cvsup is a good idea.
/usr/ports is also a good idea.  In here somewhere is an even better
good idea which encompasses many of the best parts of both."

Trust me folks, there are MUCH BETTER mechanisms than ports and a
neatly organized /usr/src which would give us a more tree-structured
FreeBSD, with "minbin" at the very root and things like MTAs several
levels up, while also providing the nice free-standing taxonomy that
/usr/src does.  We've learned a tremendous amount about source code
control and makefile wrappers over the last 9 years of this project,
we simply haven't really applied that knowledge to our process in any
truly significant ways.  We just keep shoe-horning more shit into the
same shaped box and complaining that we're running out of room while
simultaneously defending the existing structures as somehow sacrosanct
or, at worst, simply needing a fresh coat of paint and some minor
remodeling.  BAH!  :)

I'd even be willing to take the opium pipe out of my mouth and write
down some of these grandiose claims in the form of a much clearer
prototype, but before spending that kind of energy on it I'd first
like to see some general sign that people aren't dead-set on arguing
about individual leaves rather than thinking about the whole tree for
a change.

- Jordan