Date:      Sat, 03 Apr 1999 10:49:07 -0600
From:      Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNU regex (Was: egcs knob and objective C)

On 3 April 1999 at 7:49, "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org> wrote:
[snip]
> If you mean a version of regex included in the LGPL'ed libc,
> yes, then this point might be mute.  However, if you mean
> the regex/rx distributions, please, no.

We're talking about gdb, so I mean the GNU regex implementation
that is distributed as part of gdb.

[snip]
> I would suggest GNU regex be made ports unless some base
> application required the -lgnuregex.

As much as I would like to see us shipping only one regex
implementation, and a BSD-style licensed one at that, some base
applications require GNU regex, notably those found under
src/gnu.

However, as we import new things (a new GDB, a new CVS) perhaps
we can try to drop the regex implementations that come with those,
and use one that is already in the system.

Then again, perhaps not.  No telling what subtle bugs could be
created by changing the regex implementation used in complex
applications such as CVS.

Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / nectar@FreeBSD.org