Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 15:15:34 +1100
From:      davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        Shimon@i-Connect.Net (Simon Shapiro), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-BETA Questions

Michael Smith writes:
> > 2.  Assunming #1 is true, listen to this (Network Failure System; AKA NFS)
> >     scenario:
> >
> >     *  Linux NFS server, Debian 1.2, Kernel 2.0.27, etc. (nomis)  with this
> >        in /etc/exports:
> >
> >           /usr/src/FreeBSD    sendero.i-connect.net(rw,no_root_squash)
> >
> >     *  FreeBSD 2.2-BETA client doing:
> >
> >          # mkdir /NewStuff
> >          # mount -t nfs -o ro nomis;/usr/src/FreeBSD /NewStuff
> >          # ls -al /NewStuff
> >          ls: /NewStuff: Permission denied
>
> What are the permissions on "NewStuff" on the server?  Try "ls" without
> any other flags first.
>
> >        Dunno about you but smells like a bug to me...
>
> It looks to me like the server is being _very_ weird.  Someone else
> (Doug R.?) might have a better idea about that.

FWIW, I've seen this too. It occurs only when mounting a Linux ext2
filesystem on a FreeBSD system, and then only sometimes. Unfortunately
that "sometimes" is *always* repeatable between any two boxes on which
it occurs and there doesn't seem to be any other way around it.

When I struck this, I ended up mounting the other way and doing what
I had to do (backing up the Linux system prior upgrading to FreeBSD,
as it turns out :-)). Two other Linux boxes (all three were running
Redhat 3.0 and some 2.0.x version of the kernel) mounted just fine.
The "disappearing" mount point was quite alarming at first, and I
was sure I was losing my mind.

I did check permissions, but it did not seem to be related at all.
In all other respects, networking in general was working fine.

> > 3.  Made a kernel with sound, etc...  Worked fine until some days ago.
> >     Now, all of the sudden, without me doing anything (really :-):
> >
> >     # xmcd -debug
> >     Lock file: /tmp/.cdaudio/lock.f02
> >     Cannot open /dev/rcd0c: errno=6
>
> Is there a CD in the drive?  6 is "not configured", which xmcd should be
> telling you.  A list of the boot-time probe messages (output of 'dmesg')
> would be handy here, as I suspect that your CD wasn't found.

Or perhaps there was no CD in the drive on bootup?

Just a guess. I've never seen this with my atapi nor had the described
problem in switching between audio and data cds.

> > 8.  Education Question:  What is the logic in assigning slice ID's?
> >                          I understand c to be the entire disk
> >                          (why `c'? Why not?)
> >                          Why does sysinstall assign 'e', 'f',
> >                          but (almost) never 'd'?

This question is indicative of the biggest transition problems
in coming from any other PC operating system to BSD. Terminology:

	'slice' is the same as a "partition" in DOS/OS2 terms.
	'partition' is the internal scheme BSD uses for paritioning
		disks.

> You mean partition names.  Tradition, mostly.  'a' is traditionally
> used for a root filesystem, 'b' for swap, 'c' for the whole disk, and
> d-h for 'other' partitions.  For a while, 'd' was used by various
> 386 BSD's to deal with the disparity between "the whole disk" and
> "the whole part of the disk that BSD uses"; this is obsoleted by
> the 'slice' paradigm.

'd' is usable as a standard partition these days.

> > 9.  Some safety checks in disklabel and newfs and/or kernel slice-
> >     partition handling could be nice.  If you create an 'a' partition
> >     which is exactly an overlap of a 'c' in a slice that dominates
> >     the disk, newfs will FREEZE the system.
>
> Novel.  I've never seen that, and I've done it many times.

Nor have I. All my partitions are exactly as described - I
don't use anything BUT "dd" mode partitioning since I don't
run anything other than FreeBSD...

It may be a problem with partioning per se, though. I've had
some share of fun in getting new disks partitioned. :-) Once I
realised that fdisk was unnecessary for DD disks and skipped
that part, life was much easier.

The core dumps when using /stand/sysinstall after the
installation are definitely there though - have been for some
years and I keep trying it in the vain hope that it would
work. It would be nice if this could be fixed so that
sysinstall could be used for partitioning and creating
filesystems at any time. I'm sure it would solve many user
problems as it is much easier to do it this way than have to
fiddle with fdisk/disklabel no matter how educational this
might be. :-)

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/