Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:18:02 -0600
From:      "Jan L. Peterson" <jlp@Part.NET>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: log to st0?

> We're producing about 100M of http logs per day, append only... Is it at all
> possible to stream our httpd logs to tape, yet be able to rewind, read it
> all at random points, and pick up writing where I left off?

When I was at iMALL, we were taking about 200MB of http logs per day.
We had an interesting system of batching the logs out to a log
processing machine that was separate from the front-line web servers
(four of them).  The batching system was designed to be robust in the
event of full disks and/or network failures between the front-line and
the log processor.

We found that a 200MB log file would compress down to about 20MB, and
by having a decent sized (4GB) disk available, we could keep 45 days
worth of logs on line fairly easily (took about a gig).  We would also
expire these daily logs out to an archive directory when they were more
than 45 days old, and when the archive directory had about 650MB of
stuff in it, we would burn it onto a CD.

Advantages were that log processing was fairly robust and logs were
kept in a way that we could grab a specific day's logs any time we
wanted to (if it wasn't in the active log directory that our log
summarizing system read, we could always find it either in the archive
directory or on a CD somewhere).

	-jan-
--
Jan L. Peterson         PartNET                    tel. +1 801 581 1118
Senior Systems Admin    423 Wakara Way, Suite 216  fax  +1 801 581 1785