Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2017 22:56:59 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
Cc:        tyler@tysdomain.com, freebsd@edvax.de, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to block facebook access

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 16:41:20 -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:

> > On 8/19/2017 2:20 PM, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> >> Hello list;
> >>
> >> Running 11.1 & ipfilter with LAN behind the gateway server. LAN users
> >> are using their work PC's to access facebook during work.
> >>
> >> What method would recommend to block all facebook access?
> >>

>  > Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
>  > make your proxy just blacklist facebook.com and m.facebook.com?
>  > Blocking it will just let them view it on their phones though, so
>  > you're looking at a different issue altogether.
>
> Already blocking 15 facebook login ip address which can be added to or
> changes by FB anytime.

Yes, that is one of the core problems: You do not have control
over Facebook's network configuration. :-)

On the IP level, you can maintain a list of IPs to block. And
you could use resolver modification to do this for you, for
example when the IP for a certain Facebook service or page
changes, using the resolver its new IP will be added to the
block list. With this approach, you can block using both
numeric IPs and domain name strings (which of course resolve
to IPs, too).

Maybe it would be a lot easier if you could just switch to
whitelisting - define the IPs _allowed_ for the users. This
will surely introduce new problems like "I cannot access a
web site which I need for work, please verify and whitelist",
which is something you cannot fully automate.

> On the company floor we have a cell phone signal jammer, so employees
> are forced to leave building to use their cell phones which make them
> show up on security video. Since we started that last January, people
> just turn off their cell phones at work.

Do you have some specific workplace policy that explicitely
prohibits the use of non-work related web pages? In that case,
determine which user actually accesses Facebook and then send
them a "friendly reminder" to act according to the rules to
which they agreed, or else.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany