Date:      Thu, 08 Oct 1998 13:41:38 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley-185-114.res.iastate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new bootloader suggestions..

> I was wondering if we could make the environment of the new
> boot loader non-volatile.  It seems as though variables
> that you set at boot should stick around.  Could we
> possibly have a /boot/environment or something similar
> where the variables are actually written back?

Sure.  I have (uncommitted) code that gives you access to the kernel
environment, along with a sysctl to extract it.  You could easily write
it back and source it in.

> Although it is nice to support script type files, for most
> usage I would rather have the typical console like behavior.

Understood.  How about a patch to boot/common/interp.c to teach it
how to do the reading side?  I'll get the kernel stuff committed soon.