Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:33:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Juan Kuuse <kuuse@quik.guate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a serial terminal?

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Juan Kuuse wrote:
> I have an Ethernet switch, which has to be configured via a serial
> connection.
> I connect the Ethernet to the serial mouse port (isa1?).
> Then, the big problem:

Hope you mean that you connect the switch's serial port to a serial
port on your FreeBSD box.

It'd be easier if you had an unused serial port on the FBSD side,
if not you need to make sure that nothing is looking for a mouse when
you are trying to communicate.  No X and no moused.  Also make sure
you haven't got a getty running on the port (/etc/ttys)

> How do I communicate with the Ethernet switch from my FreeBSD box?
> How do I start a terminal emulation?
> Where do I configure for:
> 9600 baud
> 8 data bits
> 1 stop pit
> no parity
> no flow control
> ?

Once you have your cable hooked up (null modem cable) you'll need
to make sure you have a suitable entry in /etc/remote

Looking at the /etc/remote on a 2.2.5 system the last entry, cuaa0c,
is pretty close to what you need.  You may need to change the
device (dv) entry if you are not using com1.

Use tip to connect, if you use the remote cuaa0c entry the command is

# tip cuaa0c

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com