Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 07:29:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>
To:        jas@flyingfox.com
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hacked and don't know why

> From jas@flyingfox.com  Wed Jul 22 01:34:38 1998
> The symptoms you describe (not counting the blow to the head), as
> well as Drew's, make me think "filesystem damage due to failing/flakey
> hardware" before "security compromise."  Can't say for sure,
> of course; and in both cases, the evidence is gone.  But I think
> you may be jumping to conclusions a bit to assert, "We were hacked
> like this two weeks ago."

I have to disagree with the flaky hardware in my case; the directories
were on two distinct file systems and the changes were surgical in
nature -- i.e. the most cosmetic damage with the least effort.
Furthermore, I am having a BAD (bad144?  :-)) summer here where
I've lost three drives (all WD IDE's), I'm getting really good at
seeing the failure mode for those drives.

The point of my original post (thanks to all who replied) was NOT
that FreeBSD is insecure and or I was specifically targeted because
someone hates me -- I presumed the hacking exploited a known hole which
I personally erred in covering quickly because *I* didn't know why.
(Hence the offer to share my firewall config, since it was a likely
source of the problem.)

I also erred if I didn't mention POP in the original message, especially
since that appears to be the source of the problem.

I agree with Jordan, we're human and we do the best we can, but mistakes
happen.

-ahd-
--
Drew Derbyshire                 Internet:       ahd@kew.com
Kendra Electronic Wonderworks   Telephone:      781-279-9812

 May the Hack be with you!