Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:21:30 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        euro@i.com.ua
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org, mala@hinterbergen.de
Subject:   Re: Progress on usb/79524 (printing to Minolta 1300W via /dev/ulpt0)

In message: <1132156386.875.11.camel@localhost>
            Eugene Rogoza <euro@i.com.ua> writes:
: Hello everybody,
:
: The old issue with 'ulpt' and "device busy" (usb/79524) is slowly moving
: towards resolution.
:
: A brief history:
:
: http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-usb/2005-March/000695.html
: http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-usb/2005-July/001254.html
: http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-usb/2005-July/001265.html
:
: I tried the patch of Mr. M. Warner Losh and voila! No "device busy"
: anymore, but when sending a print job, the kernel reports: "ulpt0:
: offline", and stays offline, although the printer is turned on.

Yes.  The kernel will say that, and then send the print job anyway.
Does the job actually print?

: Is it a somewhat known issue, or should I supply additional debug
: information?

Yes.  It is telling you your printer is broken :-).  There's no
software problem here.  Your printer stupidly reports offline status.

I'll be the first to admit that maybe the offline message should go
away, or be behind boot verbose.

Warner