Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 17:26:05 -0800
From:      Erick Mechler <emechler@techometer.net>
To:        Henry smith <getzz11@yahoo.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrade sshd ?

Yeah, if you don't want to be vulnerable to the 'UseLogin' exploit.  The
packages should have shown up on the mirrors by now.

--Erick

Important Changes:
==================

        This release fixes a vulnerability in the UseLogin option
        of OpenSSH.  This option is not enabled in the default
        installation of OpenSSH.

        However, if UseLogin is enabled by the administrator, all
        versions of OpenSSH prior to 3.0.2 may be vulnerable to
        local attacks.

        The vulnerability allows local users to pass environment
        variables (e.g. LD_PRELOAD) to the login process.  The login
        process is run with the same privilege as sshd (usually
        with root privilege).

        Do not enable UseLogin on your machines or disable UseLogin
        again in /etc/sshd_config:
                UseLogin no

:: Buy the perfect holiday gifts at Yahoo! Shopping.
:: http://shopping.yahoo.com
::
:: with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message