Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 01:16:09 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Remote Control

I'd appreciate some advice / comments on running applications on
a FreeBSD machine from other machines on the LAN & even
over the internet if possible. I realize some things can be done
using good old telnet, but occasionally I find things that don't
respond ... eg "/stand/sysinstall" only gets so far and refuses to
take any notice.

I figure at least some of the problem is related to the inability of my
telnet setup to recognize colors, but I don't know if there's a way
around that & if thats the only limiting factor in running applications
remotely. I also tried a few X-window servers in MS Windows
boxes but all the ones I've tried have proved far too messy to
configure / use / license.... seems those sorts of things are far
more trouble than they are worth. The VNC thing is somewhat
better, but from what I've seen of it I feel its still too fiddly.

IS there a way to run EVERYTHING in a non-X FreeBSD system
from elsewhere using only telnet ??