Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 96 20:21 WET
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        hackers%freebsd.org@rwsystr.lonestar.org
Subject:   Netscape and no Java

I have been catching up on this list and noted all the strife
regarding the latest Netscape and some people getting Java to work
and others could not.

This may be applicable.  Our group at work all downloaded the
Windows '95 Netscape version on all systems in anticipation of a
presentation on Java by someone on the staff.  To our surprise, roughly
half of the systems would not run ANY of the Java demos, regardless of the
source.  Some systems that worked and did not work were identical in
hardware/software configuration, so we spent some time looking at this.

We found that in the case of Windows '95, Netscape 2.x would fail to run
Java applications IF ANY files from an earlier version of Netscape
still existed on the system ANYWHERE.   If we carefully wiped all
traces of Netscape from a system (including cache and bookmarks),
redownloaded and installed, Java would start working.

We have no idea why Netscape was so picky about this, although the Sunster
we contacted thought Netscape may be overdoing the Java security checks a
bit.

Anyway, you might try making sure you have eliminated all remnants of
earlier Netscape versions from your system and then re-install and see
if that helps on FreeBSD.

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"Microsofts' model for security
or uhclem%nemesis@rwsystr.nkn.net           | is 'Take my data, please!'"
					    | - Letter in PC Week Mar 25.
or ...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem	    | No, I didn't write it.  :-)