Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:19:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Tim Soderstrom" <tim@timandcorey.com>
To:        "Dominic Marks" <dom@helenmarks.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, tim@timandcorey.com
Subject:   Re: DMA timeouts with Adapter ASH-1205SA SATA PCI Card

> This card is based on a Silicon Image chip. You might as well
> chuck the card I have never got a machine stable with one of these
> controllers, I tried three cards all based on this chip, including an
> Adaptec 1210SA. All the same, completely unstable.
>
> I suggest you acquire one of these instead:
>
> http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=3ware+escalade+8000+2+port
>
> Save yourself a lot of pain (really) and get one :) With one of these
> the rock-like stability should be easy to achieve, hopefully.

I am finding that out the more I research this card. I have found,
however, that it does work fairly stable in Linux (sorry for dropping the
L-bomb) assuming that your hard-drive is not of a certain model. If it is,
the driver still works, but runs in a diminished capacity.

That said, one thing I noticed when reading the ata man page (I forgot
sometimes how awesome FreeBSD man-pages are!), the SiI3112 is listed as a
compatible chipset. I am e-mailing this issue directly to the maintainer
as a result. If the chipset is not supported, and it seems like it isn't
in a stable configuration, I would think this should be ammended.

Thanks again fro the help!

Tim