Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:13:58 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        Makoto MATSUSHITA <matusita@matatabi.or.jp>, stable@FreeBSD.org

[Replies have been pointed to -chat.

Louis A. Mamakos <louie@TransSys.COM> types:
> That's fine, except that I gave my credit card number to Walnut Creek
> who was acquired by BSDI, then acquired by Wind River.  I have a business
> relationship with them, and I don't look kindly on them disclosing
> my credit card information to third parties.  If they wish to use
> someone else to act as the fulfillment agent to ship the order, it's
> up to them.  But I'm still Wind River's customer and expect them to
> keep this sensitive information confidential and not disclose it to third
> parties.

I have higher expectations than that. I expect that they won't give my
CC number to anyone who doesn't have something to do with collecting
the money, no matter *who* they work for. I really don't care if they
contract all their accounting out to some other company, that's their
decision. I've already trusted their judgement about who in their
company they let see the credit card number; I see no reason not to
trust their judgement about the company they choose to handle the
transaction.

My only problem with this one is that they are terminating the
business relationship. That makes me worry that they might not have
take appropriate care in their choice.

> Oh well, fortunatly my credit card expired.  But vendors doing business
> over the internet and using credit cards for payment should be very
> sensitive to this issue.

They aren't. I've had internet orders placed at company 1, shipped
from company 2, and the cc account lists company 3. The internet makes
doing business this way easier for businesses as well as consumers.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.