Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 08:58:55 +0000
From:      dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        steve@freebsd.org;dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk;;
Subject:   Re: tkdesk, pr ports/5282 and tcl

Hi

I've just recevied a couple of emails re the tkdesk-1,0b5 port that
was committed last weekend. It ain't working.

I've just checked the port and it is in tk8.0! This is very very
wrong. It must go into tk4.2.

>From my port:Makefile
CATEGORIES=	misc x11 tk42
in the ports tree Makefile
CATEGORIES=	misc x11 tk80

Why was this changed?

As I rasied in the tcl thread last week there is lots of
Tcl code depending on stuff like itcl which is not tcl8.x compatible.

This is not something porters can fix for the original authors*, and
should committers change the submitted port without checking with the
port author and obviously not testing it.

I don't really mean to sound harsh; but this has niggled me a bit!

Can you remove this port ASAP.
Anyway, by coincidence a new, non beta, of TkDesk was released
yesterday. I will submit a new port of this tonight.

Duncan

*For example; tkdesk is based on its own version of a hacked
version of an early version of itcl which will never ever work
in Tcl8.0. The TkDesk author reckons that is going to be
about 2months work to get it to work with the current version of
itcl and he knows the code!