Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:33:35 -0400
From:      Max Euston <meuston@jmrodgers.com>
To:        "'Espen Torseth'" <Espen.Torseth@sds.no>, "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Large-scale scan of SNMP ports

On Tuesday, July 14, 1998 3:47 AM, Espen Torseth
[SMTP:Espen.Torseth@sds.no] wrote:
> There is the possibility that someone has started "auto-discovery" in
> HP-OpenView,
> CA UniCenter, etc. and given the wrong net-adress/subnet-mask. This has
> happend
> before, and will happen again...
>
> Regards
> Espen Torseth

[snip]
> > Yesterday I detected what appears to be a large-scale scan of the
203.36
> > and
> > 203.29 networks, coming from what appears to be a host connected to a
> > local
> > Australian provider. The host did not respond to traceroute, even at
the
[snip]
I concur.  I regularly get these scans.  I am almost ready to stop
following up on them (I have stopped about a half dozen of them) since
there seems to be no end in sight.  Each time it has been HP JetAdmin
software on Windows 95 machines that was configured incorrectly.  You can
check out http://web.mit.edu/network/hpfix/ as a starting point (it helped
me solve the problem).  Your best bet is to get the source's ISP to contact
them (or tell you who they are) and have them (source) block it at their
gateway.

Max
---
Max Euston <meuston@jmrodgers.com>