Date:      Wed, 06 Aug 2003 08:15:05 -0500
From:      Jim King <jim@jimking.net>
To:        patpro <patpro@patpro.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: temperature acquisition on FreeBSD

patpro wrote:

>>> What I would do today is continue to use the Dallas Semiconductor
>>> temperature probe devices and just drive them from the Dallas
>>> 1-wire to RS-232 serial port adapter.  You'll need some additional
>>> software to discover, address, fetch and convert measurements from
>>> each of the probes as compared to the Spiderplant box.
>>>
>>> As far as software, you can start with /usr/ports/comms/mlan or
>>> /usr/ports/comms/mlan3 to talk to the adapter.
>>

> If I understand well, you're talking about this device :
>
> https://store.ibutton.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/
> ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2531&prmenbr=776

That's the one (DS9097U).

> But it looks like one can only plug 1 probe, and by the way, I can't
> find simple temp probes.
> The starter kit looks good
> (http://www.ibutton.com/ibuttons/1921Kit.html) but the DS9097U-S09
> has  no addressable 1-Wire chip onboard. And it seems it uses TMEX
> driver,  so I'm not sure mlan or mlan3 freebsd ports can read data
> from it.

DS9097U is just an adapter to allow you to plug a 1-Wire bus into an
RS232 port.

> Thermocron looks really good too
> (https://store.ibutton.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/
> ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2438&prmenbr=776) and is apparently supported
> by  mlan :

Thermochron would be more expensive.  They're $25 each; a plain
temperature iButton is $7, and bare DS1920s are probably a lot less than
that.  Also, DalSemi has had major problems producing Thermochrons and
quantities have been pretty limited for the last couple years.  (A
Thermochron is a nifty toy to have though - I've had fun with mine.)

> So now, will TMEX driven hardware work on FreeBSD with mlan ? and
> does  anybody have experience pluging more than one temp. probe on
> the  DS9097U adapter family ?

The DalSemi 1-Wire bus is really a bus - if you want more devices you
just wire them onto the bus (i.e. connect them in parallel with the
other devices).

fyi, I played with mlan3 a little bit.  I connected one of the DS1920
probes from my Spiderplant HLT into a DS9097U, and the 'temp' program
from mlan3 worked fine and was able to display temperature readings from
the probe.

Jim