Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 16:56:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Calvin M Meloon <calvin@gulf.net>
To:        "Daniel J. Wharton" <wharton@burnit.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disabling Telnet

We modified the nologin.sh script, echoing a couple of messages to the
user upon login, and made this the user's shell...

	#!/bin/sh -
	#
	# Copyright (c) 1992, 1993
	#       The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

	# blah
	# blah
	# blah

	#
	#       @(#)nologin.sh  8.1 (Berkeley) 6/5/93
	#

	echo 'This account is not enabled for shell/telnet access.'
	echo 'Please call the GCIC office for more information.'
	exit 1

This allows ftp access, but not telnet access.

> I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I can prevent users from
> telneting in without disabling FTP access as well.  I want people to be
> able to FTP in and update their websites, but not be able to TELNET in.
>
> I already tried setting their shell to /sbin/nologin, but that disables
> FTP access as well.  Thank you very much in advance for any advice.

 / ___/__ _/ /  __(_)__  Gulf Coast Internet           Calvin M. Meloon
/ /__/ _ `/ / |/ / / _ \ Pensacola, FL               Unix Administrator
\___/\_,_/_/|___/_/_//_/ (850)438-5700                   writer of code
~~~~ calvin@gulf.net ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Proponent of FreeBSD