Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 14:07:03 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alban Hertroys <dalroi@wit401310.student.utwente.nl>
To:        Marc Ramirez <mrami@gbtb.com>
Cc:        Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need some advice regarding portable user IDs

On 18 Aug, Marc Ramirez wrote:

> Oh!  I was under the impression that it just didn't work, even with
> correct perms, but I use FreeBSD.  Lemme try it... Can't mount, even
> with 0666 on /dev/fd0.  Maybe I'm being stupid.  Wouldn't be the first
> time!
>
> Marc.

No miracle, the mount command has uid 0 hardcoded in the source where
you are checked if you are allowed to use the mount command.

I've been thinking of a neat way to re-organize that code myself for
some time now, and thought I had come up with a solution (It's the
reason I subscribed to this list in the first place).

With the current discussion, I figure it has some major shortcomings. It
adds some things too, though, like the permissions to audio devices,
etc.

Anyway, I wrote a "paper" about it that I can post here if anybody is
interested. In that case, which format s liked best: plain text, TeX or
postscript? I assume the first.

--
Alban Hertroys.
http://wit401310.student.utwente.nl