Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:29:54 -0700
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        "Preston S. Wiley II" <pwiley@freebsd.tesserae.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More changes to new advocacy site.

	I've taken a quick look at this site, and I wanted to make a few points
:

1.  I think a couple of people have suggested mentioning this to
slashdot already.  I think it's still a little too early to spread word
of this site.  I don't know if there is time line for this project but I
think it would be a good idea.  Let's make sure the site gets a fair bit
of input and features into it before "announcing" it to the world.  I
think that may have been part of the problem with the old
advocacy.freebsd.org site.

2.  What are the capabilities for the site to grow and expand?  This
would include things like how much load the machine can handle and
bandwidth to people and long term issues.  Do you have people who have
offered to help at different levels ( like reviewing/auth'ing
submissions, writing occasional articles, coding for the site )?

3.  What are the objectives of the site, my impression was that we were
aiming for something of mix between slashdot.org and linuxtoday.com,
with some relation to linux.com.

4.  User posting feedback seems to be an important feature, especially
for something like slashdot.  What is going to be done about it in
regards to this site?

5.  The possibility of a more generic name?  "FreeBSD advocacy" is
pretty straight to the point, but may define what we want to accomplish
a little too tightly.

These are just my thoughts and input, I thought I better speak up now
:-)  Also, please do not take this harshly, I simply wanted to point
some things out, and I hope I've done that with out belittling the
awesome effort that has already been put into this site.

"Preston S. Wiley II" wrote:

> Based on some suggestions for people, I added some big buttons on the top
> so that if someone comes to the site not knowing what FreeBSD is, they can
> easily find out. I'm not sure where the "What is FreeBSD?" and "Is FreeBSD
> for you?" buttons should go though. Right now, I have then both pointing
> to the main freebsd pages. If someone knows of a good place for this to
> point, tell me. I also fixed the admin pages so the username and password
> work, sorry about that.
>
> Main Page:  http://freebsd.tesserae.com
> Admin Page: http://freensd.tesserae.com/admin   U/P: freebsd/advocacy

> Preston Wiley                                             Cadabra, Inc.
> Systems Administrator                     1820 Gateway Drive, Suite 300
> pwiley@cadabra.com                                  San Mateo, CA 94404
> 650/403-2227                                     http://www.cadabra.com

Joseph Scott

joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu
CSU Sacramento - Office Of Water Programs