Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 1995 08:40:58 -0500
From:      mcaughey@infi.net (Michael Caughey)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problems with PPP Connection

Hello,
    I have a problem.  First let me let you know I am using FreeBSD 2.0.  I
have been having a few difficulties establishing a PPP Connection.  I have
succesfully connected to my service prodiver where they assigned me a
dynamically allocated IP address.  I'm supposed to have a set IP Address.  I
do have that address and when I try to establish a link using it I get
errors from the PPPD application.

Dynamic IP allocation Link to Service providers Local Annex:

I use Kermit to connect then invoke my PPPD with the following command line:

/etc/ppp/pppd /dev/cua00 19200

and the "options" file is set up as follows

crtscts				# Hardware flow control
modem
noipdefault
passive

:130.234.12.2                   # local ip must be different from one
				# you assigned to the ethernet ( or other )
				# interface on your machine.
				# remote IP is ip address that will be
				# assigned to the remote machine

domain foo.com		        # your domain
defaultroute

    With this I can establish a PPP conection and remotely via the Internet
log into an established FTP site on that UN*X box.

    The problem is when I try to establish a link to a telephone number that
has been set a side for my Host connection.  On there end they have a modem
hooked to a netblazer and it is set up specifically for a PPP connection.
Here is how I've been attemptimg to connect to them:

I have a dial up script that works fine using kermit.  The problem is after
I run the following command line:

/etc/ppp/pppd /dev/cua00 19200

and the "options" file is set up as follows
crtscts		                #enables hardware to flow
modem		                #modem control line
passive		                #wait for LCP packets
domain foo.com                  # your domain
145.0.123.45:145.0.123.2        # local ip must be different from one
				# you assigned to the ethernet ( or other )
				# interface on your machine.
				# remote IP is ip address that will be
				# assigned to the remote machine

defaultroute

After this is envoked I get the following screen output:

Mar 16 09:00:42 hostname pppd[112]:ppd 2.1.2 started by root, uid 0
Mar 16 09:00:42 hostname pppd[113]:Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cua00
Mar 16 09:00:42 hostname pppd[112]:LCP: timeout Sending Config-Request

    The next result is either it reboots my machine or terminating the
connection.

    One other note I would like to add that confuses this even more for me
is that when I contacted my servive provider they informed me, after
testing, that everything on their end was set up correctly.  So I guess it
has to be something on my end.

    Help, please.

* note, I've changed the refrenced IP address from the two option files. So
if you reconize them don't worry, they are not the actual ones I'm trying to
use to set this thing up.
| Michael Caughey.                         |
| mcaughey@infi.net                        |
| running FreeBSD 2.0!                     |