Date:      Fri, 03 Nov 2006 21:13:50 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [nycbug-talk] creating "local" ports (fwd)

--------------enig064E1E0C3E7DC9E68007C722

Charles Sprickman wrote:
> Is there a way to create a "local" category?  ie: /usr/ports/LOCAL

Create /usr/ports/Makefile.local containing:

    SUBDIR+=3D LOCAL

> -By default cvsup and (I assume portsnap) would nuke anything in
> /usr/ports that was not part of the main ports tree.  How can this be
> dealt with in a way that none of the current/future port update
> methods will not clobber our local tree?

cvsup won't nuke a file that it knows nothing about.  ie. it only nukes
files that have history in CVS.   portsnap I believe is less friendly
to local additions.

A simple method of dealing with this is to keep your LOCAL tree in an
entirely separate filesystem and write yourself a tiny little script
to generate symlinks under /usr/ports.

> -How does one handle packages that depend on say, qmail, but I now
> want to depend on local-qmail?  I know portupgrade can be tought this
> by setting an alternate pkgdep, but is there any clever way of doing
> this so that when you're not using portupgrade the deps are adjusted?

That's a generic problem with ports -- instead of registering a
dependency on the package that provided the file that satisfied the
test specified by the FOO_DEPENDS variable in the port Makefile, the
dependency is registered on the default package to install to resolve
the dependency as shown in the second half of the FOO_DEPENDS line.
As far as I know portupgrade is the only software with the alt-pkgdep
functionality available: it isn't available in the basic ports per-se,
although a number of popular core ports can specify alternate
dependencies where support for doing that has been specifically
written into the various Makefiles involved. No idea if either portmaster=

or portmanager have any similar alternate dependency functionality though=
=2E

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20