Date:      Mon, 04 Oct 1999 16:44:12 +0100
From:      Richard Morte <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
To:        "K. Gunderson" <kgun@iacan.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Need Advice on New PC for FreeBSD

"K. Gunderson" wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 05:01:30PM -0400, Brad Chapman wrote:
> > Hello;
> >     I am putting together a new computer from scratch to run FreeBSD and
> > a database (MySQL) backed web server (under Apache). Although I am
> > familiar with the FreeBSD OS and other stuff, I'm a newbie in terms of
> > assembling computers. Does anyone have recommendations for components to
> > build a good system? ie. if you could build your own computer, what
> > would you put on it? Just trying to collect info and I would appreciate
> > any advice anyone could give me. Thanks.
>
> I have built a few boxes from scratch and brought FreBSD up on. I've
> sort of settled on a config that I like, here's the makeup of the last 4
> boxes:
>
> ABIT BX6r2 motherboard
> Celeron 300a  (overclocked to 450 MHz)
> Micron PC100 ECC Ram  (ouch! just got *really* expensive)
> IBM Deskstar HD, 10.2 gig
> Trident AGP graphics card, 4MB (I don't do xwindows)
> Netgear 310 TX 10/100 NIC
>
> Now I know that somefolks have had trouble with the Netgear cards, but
> they have worked well for me and are half the cost of the Intel cards.

<snip...>

Yes, I too have just installed the Netgear FA310TX boards. FreeBSD is
compatible with the revision D1 boards, but mine are revision D2 and
work just fine.

> Most of the boxes I build end up being servers and I don't bother with a
> cd-rom drive. Same goes for modems.  On the ones I do, I like the Toshiba
> drives and USR/3Com (obviously stay away from Winmodems).

I had real problems with an internal PCI Zoom modem so stay away from
those. I exchanged it for an external 3com V90 modem; the latter works
really well.

<snip>

Richard Morte