Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 2002 02:04:36 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenSSL vs. -lmd

Mark Murray wrote:
> > If there's a port for it.
[ ... ]
> Please submit your port for 0.9.7-beta.

Though the current OpenSSL 0.9.6e maintainer is creating one, I
could; it's pretty trivial.

But having a port would detract from my point that the OpenSSL
in the base system needs to be severable, rather than overwritable.

> > > I wonder, why you are not complaining about us having -lc in the base
> > > system :-) After all, with Linux systems you usually have a choice --
> > > glibc/libc/etc.
> >
> > I'll complain about the resolver being in libc, if that'll make
> > you happy...  it'll make everyone who has to do name lookups
> > serially so they compalin about IPv6 in Mozilla happy... 8-).
>
> Erm, complaining is the slow way to solve this. Please rather submit
> patches.

Patches in this area do no good.  There is a hell of a lot of
tradition riding on the network APIs being part of libc, and a
hell of a lot of back-pressure *against* moving everything over
to shared libraries and getting rid of static linking, so that
the ELF library-depends-on-library actually works like it was
designed to work.

-- Terry