Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 2003 07:28:59 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Subject:   Re: How do hackers drive?

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 05:56:59PM -0800 I heard the voice of
Terry Lambert, and lo! it spake thus:

> The media has to do this to avoid biasing the general public against
> the other unemployed intoxicated indigent convicted felons, which
> would, but for the media bias, be invited into peoples homes on a
> regular basis to play Scrabble or Pictionary (but not Monopoly,
> since playing that would be just plain insensitive).

Scrabble in its commonly played form is irrevocably tied to English,
which is obviously not very progressive.  Most states even give driver's
license examinations in multiple languages; it's pretty rude to then
restrict /games/.  Even taken more broadly, it's still biased toward
pretty close derivatives of the Latin alphabet, which is less egregious
but even more solid a wall.

And Pictionary is even worse because of the subtlety of its exclusion of
people not sharing a similar social background.  In fact, it's almost a
tool of oppression, DISGUISED as a game!  The whole point is to make
others "lose" simple because they don't have the same experiences and
prejudices that YOU do.

Take out the self-centricism in your own eye, before complaining about
the minor insensitivity in Monopoly's!

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net