Date:      Fri, 1 Jan 2021 12:24:58 -0600
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        Robert Crowston <crowston@protonmail.com>
Cc:        Andy McClements <ajm@ip-ether.net>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RPi4b 8GB 13.0-Current, XHCI broken, wrong U-Boot ?

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 11:05 AM Robert Crowston via freebsd-arm
<freebsd-arm@freebsd.org> wrote:

> The u-boot output is not a smoking gun; the u-boot version packaged up th=
ere did not have the driver in it. The freebsd driver is separate and does =
not depend on u-boot.

> As I recall, that warning indicates that we tried, but failed to load the=
 firmware, which I haven=E2=80=99t seen in the wild before. Could you try b=
ooting in verbose mode?

> Do you know what version of USB firmware is installed on the Pi? Alternat=
ively, when did you purchase this hardware? (My suspicion is that the Pi fo=
undation moved the goalposts again ...)

> You say this works fine with the UEFI boot? If you can use boot with that=
 one, it would be good to see if it works.

> Re: state of the pi 4, I guess we should bundle up a proper image of it, =
either for USB drive or SD Card, instead of telling users to perform all th=
is surgery.

What surgery are you referring to here? The -RPI image OP tried from
the 24th is one that should boot as-is on all arm64 RPi variants
without modification using the upstream U-Boot rpi arm64 config and a
consolidated config.txt that conditionally does what's needed for the
RPi4.